Sunday, December 13, 2009

Defenders of Rodeo at the Olympics

I for one, wish that rodeo would be accepted in the Olympic games. It is a sport that is played around the world and has a long standing tradition in many countries. In 2002, there was a Cultural Olympiad that included rodeo, and of course, PETA came out of the woodwork's. I found an article that gives another side to the animal rights activists. Since I rodeo, and am a little prejudiced toward animal activists, I have refrained from putting too many articles berating PETA. I have strived to stay objective and give animal rights articles their fair share in this blog. However, I think it is time for a little offense from my side of the field.

One of my favorite quotes from this article is that when rodeo was announced to be a part of the Cultural Olympiad that "the 'Animal Activists' began crawling out of the woodwork and started doing what they do best; whinning and complaining." Another quote that snidely gets back at other sports is "The end result of all this was that the Olympic Command Performance Rodeo was held despite the protests, even with such great atheletes as Scott Hamilton, from the pure sport of Figure Skating, (you know, the one where you write a check to the judges for a good score) coming out against the rodeo."

I love it when rodeo gets the upper hand. We have too long a history and are too much an important part of this country to be berated and slandered as we have been in the past years. It is unfair and hurtful to a community that does far greater things than football and soccer. We are a community that genuinely cares for people and animals and sincerely wants everyone to do good. Can you say that about the opposing football team?

No comments:

Post a Comment